Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The approach of Hell Week

In preparation for Hell Week, I have actively prepared my body for the hardships it will most likely have to endure. Allowing it to get accustomed to getting less sleep, drinking sugar coffee from 7Eleven every morning, eating take out for every meal. These things you can't just spring onto your body or it will hate you. Unfortunately, this week before Hell Week is no better. Late nights, early morning, and now the onset of a cold. Great! Looks like it's going to be the best couple of weeks of my life.

Normally, I don't like to complain about my lack of time, only it seems like I'm on of the few who don't even have time for games in class because I'm trying to either pay attention or do other homework. That's just not right. I don't know how some people can do it. They appear to slack off all the time, and yet they somehow manage a better grade than me.

Not only do I have no time for sleep between 5 CS courses and my part-time job, but I also have to be on the job hunt for PEY. Looking at some of the postings yesterday (at work...) they definitely do seem interesting. software development teams and QA testing. Definitely interesting. Somehow I don't think I'd be completely satisfied with those jobs. I'd like to work and know that my hard work has helped somebody down the line in something more important than consumer software. I want to do something more worthwhile and significant. I also want to be part of the entire software development lifecycle. I don't want to be a code monkey. I'd rather have a bigger impact on a project. Of course the whole "doing something worthwhile" is thrown out the window when you consider the ultimate dream of developing games. But perhaps I can develop games and software for under privileged or mentally disabled kids. Of course it would be awesome to work for Bungie or EA. I really need to sort out my priorities. Or I could just wait and see what happens later on.


Note to self: Work on resume.

No comments: